How long do you take to decide what to wear in the morning?
You know what it’s like, you have work to get to and kids to get to school and you stand in front of your wardrobe paralysed by indecision! You have a wardrobe full of clothes but can’t find anything you want to wear. Researchers from Simon Jersey have found that women spend more than an hour of each week deciding what to wear for work, at weekends and for nights out, with the average woman spending almost five months of her working life choosing what to wear! Over the average year, this amounts to the equivalent of almost three days – and almost 20 weeks between the ages of 18 and 65!
This has led to a growing trend towards a capsule wardrobe, streamlining your clothes so you always have something to wear and removing indecision.
Why convert to a capsule wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe does not mean you have to wear the same thing every day, although some people do go that far, it is rather that you have a set of clothes that work for any occasion. So why change the way you dress?
- Fewer decisions – With so many decisions to make every day the removal of just one of them, what to wear each day, can lead to better productivity. Barack Obama states, “You’ll see I wear only grey or blue suits. I’m trying to pare down decisions. I don’t want to make decisions about what I’m eating or wearing. Because I have too many other decisions to make.”
- Less time wasted – By removing indecision in the morning you will have more time to get ready for the day.
- Less stress – By having a capsule wardrobe full of appropriate outfits you will worry less about your appearance.
- Less wasted energy – Large wardrobes require more decision making but also more organisation! A capsule wardrobe is easier to maintain and could give you more storage.
- Less expense – We all have purchases in our wardrobes that we never wear, a capsule wardrobe removes waste and stops us making “trial and error” purchases.
- You feel more stylish – With a capsule wardrobe you have a wardrobe full of clothes that you love to wear. Yes, you have fewer choices but all your clothes will be amazing and versatile, leading to you feeling more confident.
What you need in your capsule wardrobe
So you want to convert to a capsule wardrobe, what kind of items do you need to make it work?
- Quality – It’s a better investment to purchase quality items that will last. Quality clothing can also make your day to day outfits look more expensive.
- Variety – You need a mix of classic and trend driven items to suit any occasion.
- Function – You want clothes that are beautiful but also practical, so clothes that are appropriate for the workplace, for example.
- Versatile – You need pieces that will work for multiple occasions. It is easier to get dressed in the morning when you have plenty of options that can be mixed and matched and dressed up or down.
- Personality – Even though you are streamlining your wardrobe it doesn’t mean it has to be boring! Your clothes should always be a reflection of your personal style.
It may be that you have a lot of items in your wardrobe already that could form part of your capsule wardrobe, you just need to find them! My Wardrobe Weeding service can help you identify which pieces in your wardrobe you should keep and expand on.
Don’t avoid colour
A capsule wardrobe doesn’t have to be a dull wardrobe as colour is an important part of our clothing choices. In fact a recent study has found that wearing colour in the workplace can lead to payrises and promotions. Wearing colour makes us feel better and more confident.
The study showed that one in 25 of 2,000 workers quizzed say they earn £10,000 or more per year than they would otherwise due to investing in attractive clothes with a splash of colour. With one in three people saying they felt more positive when they wore brighter, colourful clothing and a quarter saying it made them more confident. Rebecca Alford, marketing manager at Case Station, who conducted the study said, “The psychology of colour has long been used in business, but only recently has it moved into areas individual workers have the power to control.”
However it must be said that it is important that you are wearing the right colours to suit your skin tone. That is why having a Colour Analysis is vital to ensure that the colours within your capsule wardrobe are right for you.
So what are you waiting for? Decrease the indecision in your life and give yourself more time in the morning by creating a capsule wardrobe. Ensure you look stylish and feel confident every day with a great selection of quality clothes.
If you would like more information about any of my services please Contact Me.